«Back-to-barge» pumping system
The back-to-barge pumping system makes collecting and transporting morts from the cages to the barge a fully automated operation. Dead fish are pumped from the bottom of the cages through a fully enclosed pipe-grid to the service barge or shorebase for dewatering, separation, and disposal.
The benefits of the systems are:
- Effective collection and transport of morts in an enclosed system
- Easier and more convenient collection and handling of morts
- Allows for mortality removal also in severe weather conditions
- Eliminates the need for sending boats to cages for morts collection
- One-man mortality removal from the barge every day
- Reduces health- and safety risks for the operator
- The operation can be automated with timers and remote control
- Increased bio security due to removal of morts and waste water
- Smaller environmental foot-print
- Future-oriented and environmentally friendly
The back-to-barge systems consists of one or two main pipe-lines from the cages to the dewaterer on the barge or on shore. Distance can vary from 30 to 600M depending on site-layout.